Play-Doh is ubiquitous in nurseries and preschools, and for good reason. This safe, non-toxic molding clay is the ultimate toy for building children’s imaginations.
Molding clay is often a child’s first exposure to creating material goods. To do so, they have to visualize what they want to create, and then use their hands to make their vision a reality.
Of course, playing with Play-Doh does not have to be so “results focused.” In fact, preschoolers have been known to simply make their favorite shapes and are content to squish the clay without direction for long periods of time.
One of the most overlooked aspects of Play-Doh is its tactile properties. The texture of clay is attractive to young children as they learn how to use their hands to render this soft material without fear of breaking anything. Having something that is “unbreakable” is crucial to child development, especially in this society, which prizes delicate and expensive objects.
And as for the danger of eating Play-Doh? It’s salty to persuade children not to, but a little cannot hurt. Actually, anthropological evidence suggests that eating clay is a common activity in many societies. The minerals in clay, as well as certain bacteria in the soil, promote digestion and well-being.
There is more to Play-Doh than meets the eye.